THE INTEREST OF HYPEROSMOLAR EXTENDERS IN ROOSTER SPERM CRYOPRESERVATION
- Authors: Iguer-ouada M.M1, Norezzine A.2, Rebouh N.Y.3
- University of Bejaia
- Ernst Institute for Animal Husbandry
- Nemchinovka Moscow Research Institute of Agriculture
- Issue: Vol 13, No 4 (2018)
- Pages: 396-404
- Section: Agricultural economy
- URL: https://agrojournal.rudn.ru/agronomy/article/view/19437
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-797X-2018-13-4-396-404
The aim of the present study was to investigate thepotential benefit of hyperosmolar extender during the freezing-thawing process in rooster sperm. The goal was to minimize the amount of intracellular water and reduce the impact of intracellular icecrystal during the freezing process. A total of five 45-week old Hubbard commercial broilers were subjected to bi-weekly semen collections. Collected sperm was pooled and divided in three aliquots. The control aliquot was diluted with Tris-extender without further supplementation at 300 mOsm (Control). The two (2) other aliquots were diluted with Trisextender at 300 mOsm containing vitamin E (Vit E) or with Tris-extender without Vitamin E but at osmolarity of 450 mOsm (Hyper). After incubation at 22 °C for 15 min, all aliquots were cooled and then frozen in liquid nitrogen. A Computer Aided Semen Analysis (CASA) was used to investigate the impact on different motility parameters. After thawing, Hyperosmolar (Hyper) and vitamin E extenders showed the highest values in terms of sperm motility preservation. Hyperosmolar extender (Hyper) showed particularly the highest values in terms of VSL velocities and progressive motile spermatozoa, known as indicators of sperm quality. In conclusion, the present results revealed that a significant impact was observed when using extenders at osmolarity of 450 mOsmin rooster sperm, in the same manner and even better then when using vitamin E. The positive impact is probably related to the reduction of intracellular ice formation.
About the authors
Mokrane M Iguer-ouadaUniversity of Bejaia
Bejaia, 06000, Algeria
Abdelaziz NorezzineErnst Institute for Animal Husbandry
Moscow region, 142132, Russian Federation
Nazih Yacer RebouhNemchinovka Moscow Research Institute of Agriculture
Moscow region, 143026, Russian Federation
- Benhenia K, Lamara A, Fatmi S, Iguer-Ouada M. Effect of cyclodextrins, cholesterol and vitamin E and their complexation on cryopreserved epididymal ram semen. Small Ruminant Research. 2016; 141:29-35.
- Slima AB, Ali MB, Barkallah M, Traore AI, Boudawara T, Allouche N, Gdoura R. Antioxidant properties of Pelargonium graveolens L’Her essential oil on the reproductive damage induced by deltamethrin in mice as compared to alpha-tocopherol. Lipids in health and disease. 2013; 12(1):30.
- Blesbois E, Grasseau I, Blum JC. Effects of vitamin E on fowl semen storage at 4 C. Theriogenology. 1993; 39(3):771-9.
- Blesbois E, Lessire M, Grasseau I, Hallouis JM, Hermier D. Effect of dietary fat on the fatty acid composition and fertilizing ability of fowl semen. Biology of reproduction. 1997; 56(5): 1216-1220.
- Blesbois E, Brillard JP. Specific features of in vivo and in vitro sperm storage in birds. Animal. 2007; 1(10):1472-81.
- Blesbois E. Biological features of the avian male gamete and their application to biotechnology of conservation. The Journal of Poultry Science. 2012; 49(3):141-9.
- Borghei-Rad SM, Zeinoaldini S, Zhandi M, Moravej H, Ansari M. Feeding rosemary leaves powder ameliorates rooster age-related subfertility. Theriogenology. 2017; 101:35-43.
- Boutabia L, Telailia S, Bouguetof I, Guenadil F, Chefrour A. Composition chimique et activité antibactérienne des huiles essentielles de Rosmarinus officinalis L. de la région de Hammamet (Tébessa-Algérie). Bulletin de la Société Royale des Sciences de Liège. 2016; 85:174-189.
- Bozin B, Mimica-Dukic N, Samojlik I, Jovin E. Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of rosemary and sage (Rosmarinus officinalis L. and Salvia officinalis L., Lamiaceae) essential oils. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry. 2007; 55(19):7879-7885.
- Bréque C, Surai P, Brillard JP. Roles of antioxidants on prolonged storage of avian spermatozoa in vivo and in vitro. Molecular Reproduction and Development: Incorporating Gamete Research. 2003; 66(3):314-323.
- Buch JG, Dikshit RK, Mansuri SM. Effect of certain volatile oils on ejaculated human spermatozoa. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 1988; 87:361-3.
- Burrows WH, Quinn JP. The collection of spermatozoa from the domestic fowl and turkey. Poultry Science. 1937; 16(1):19-24.
- Cerolini S, Kelso KA, Noble RC, Speake BK, Pizzi F, Cavalchini LG. Relationship between spermatozoan lipid composition and fertility during aging of chickens. Biology of Reproduction. 1997; 57(5):976-980.
- Cerolini S, Zaniboni L, Maldjian A, Gliozzi T. Effect of docosahexaenoic acid and a-tocopherol enrichment in chicken sperm on semen quality, sperm lipid composition and susceptibility to peroxidation. Theriogenology. 2006; 66(4):877-886.
- Chikhoune A, Stouvenel L, Iguer-Ouada M, Hazzit M, Schmitt A, Lorès P, Wolf JP, Aissat K, Auger J, Vaiman D, Touré A. In vitro effects of Thymus munbyanus essential oil and thymol on human sperm motility and function. Reproductive biomedicine online. 2015; 31(3):411-420.
- Cross DE, McDevitt RM, Hillman K, Acamovic T. The effect of herbs and their associated essential oils on performance, dietary digestibility and gut microflora in chickens from 7 to 28 days of age. British poultry science. 2007; 48(4):496-506.
- Cuvelier ME, Richard H, Berset C. Antioxidative activity and phenolic composition of pilot-plant and commercial extracts of sage and rosemary. Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society. 1996; 73(5):645-652.
- Djeddi S, Bouchenah N, Settar I, Skaltsa HD. Composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Rosmarinus officinalis from Algeria. Chemistry of Natural Compounds. 2007; 43(4):487-90.
- Donoghue AM, Donoghue DJ. Effects of waterand lipid-soluble antioxidants on turkey sperm viability, membrane integrity, and motility during liquid storage. Poultry Science. 1997; 76(10): 1440-5.
- Douard V, Hermier D, Blesbois E. Changes in turkey semen lipids during liquid in vitro storage. Biology of reproduction. 2000; 63(5):1450-1456.
- Douard V, Hermier D, Magistrini M, Labbé C, Blesbois E. Impact of changes in composition of storage medium on lipid content and quality of turkey spermatozoa. Theriogenology. 2004; 61(1):1-3.
- Eslami M, Ghaniei A, Mirzaei Rad H. Effect of the rooster semen enrichment with oleic acid on the quality of semen during chilled storage. Poultry science. 2016; 95(6):1418-24.
- Faid M, Bakhy K, Anchad M, Tantaoui-Elaraki AB. Almond paste: physicochemical and microbiological characterization and preservation with sorbic acid and cinnamon. Journal of food protection. 1995; 58(5):547-550.
- Fattah A, Sharafi M, Masoudi R, Shahverdi A, Esmaeili V. L-carnitine is a survival factor for chilled storage of rooster semen for a long time. Cryobiology. 2017; 74:13-8.
- Frankel EN, Huang SW, Aeschbach R, Prior E. Antioxidant activity of a rosemary extract and its constituents, carnosic acid, carnosol, and rosmarinic acid, in bulk oil and oil-in-water emulsion. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry. 1996; 44(1):131-5.
- Gil L, Mascaró F, Mur P, Gale I, Silva A, González N, Malo C, Cano R. Freezing ram semen: the effect of combination of soya and rosemary essences as a freezing extender on post-thaw sperm motility. Reprod Domest Anim. 2010; 45:91.
- González N, Gil L, Martinez F, Malo C, Cano R, Mur P, Espinosa E. Effect of natural antioxidant rosemary in canine soya freezing extender. Reprod Domest Anim. 2010; 45:88.
- Habtemariam S. The therapeutic potential of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) diterpenes for Alzheimer’s disease. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2016.
- Kadri A, Zarai Z, Chobba IB, Békir A, Gharsallah N, Damak M, Gdoura R. Chemical constituents and antioxidant properties of Rosmarinus officinalis L. essential oil cultivated from the South-Western of Tunisia. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2011; 5(29):6502-6508.
- Kelso KA, Cerolini S, Noble RC, Sparks NH, Speake BK. The effects of dietary supplementation with docosahexaenoic acid on the phospholipid fatty acid composition of avian spermatozoa. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 1997; 118(1):65-69.
- Köse E, Sarsilmaz M, Meydan S, Sönmez M, Kuş I, Kavakli A. The effect of lavender oil on serum testosterone levels and epididymal sperm characteristics of formaldehyde treated male rats. European review for medical and pharmacological sciences. 2011; 15(5):538-542.
- Perez-Fons L, GarzÓn MT, Micol V. Relationship between the antioxidant capacity and effect of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) polyphenols on membrane phospholipid order. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2009; 58(1):161-171.
- Luis JC, Pérez RM, González FV. UV-B radiation effects on foliar concentrations of rosmarinic and carnosic acids in rosemary plants. Food Chemistry. 2007; 101(3):1211-5.
- Liu Q, Duan RJ, Zhou YF, Wei HK, Peng J, Li JL. Supplementing oregano essential oil to boar diet with strengthened fish oil: Effects on semen antioxidant status and semen quality parameters. Andrologia. 2017; 49(10):e12764.
- Machado DG, Cunha MP, Neis VB, Balen GO, Colla A, Bettio LE, Oliveira Á, Pazini FL, Dalmarco JB, Simionatto EL, Pizzolatti MG. Antidepressant-like effects of fractions, essential oil, carnosol and betulinic acid isolated from Rosmarinus officinalis L. Food Chemistry. 2013; 136(2):999-1005.
- Makhloufi A, Moussaoui A, Benlarbi L, Hibi Z, Nabri SB, Mellouki F, Rahal S, Lazouni HA, Mebarki L. Microbiological and physicochemical quality of four cultivars of dates in the region of Bechar, South-West of Algeria-optimization of conservation by Rosmarinus officinalis L. essential oil. Acta. Hortic. 2011; 994:247-255.
- Malo C, Gil L, Gonzalez N, Martínez F, Cano R, De Blas I, Espinosa E. Anti-oxidant supplementation improves boar sperm characteristics and fertility after cryopreservation: comparison between cysteine and rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). Cryobiology. 2010; 61(1):142-147.
- Malo C, Gil L, Cano R, Martínez F, Galé I. Antioxidant effect of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) on boar epididymal spermatozoa during cryopreservation. Theriogenology. 2011; 75(9):1735-1741.
- Mangiagalli MG, Martino PA, Smajlovic T, Guidobono Cavalchini L, Marelli SP. Effect of lycopene on semen quality, fertility and native immunity of broiler breeder. British poultry science. 2010; 51(1):152-157.
- Nabi B, Fatmi S, Zerrouki-Daoudi N, Iguer-Ouada M. Interest of Vitamin E and cholesterol preloaded in cyclodextrins on motility of cryopreserved rabbit semen. Revue. Méd. Vét. 2017; 168:87-92.
- Neuman SL, Lin TL, Heste PY. The effect of dietary carnitine on semen traits of white Leghorn roosters. Poultry Science. 2002; 81(4):495-503.
- Outaleb T, Hazzit M, Ferhat Z, Baaliouamer A, Yekkour A, Zitouni A, Sabaou N. Composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Algerian Rosmarinus officinalis L. extracts. Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants. 2015; 18(3):654-665.
- Paul S, Kang SC. In vitro determination of the contraceptive spermicidal activity of essential oil of Trachyspermum ammi (L.) Sprague ex Turrill fruits. New biotechnology. 2011; 28(6): 684-690.
- Paul S, Kang SC. Studies on the viability and membrane integrity of human spermatozoa treated with essential oil of Trachyspermum ammi (L.) Sprague ex Turrill fruit. Andrologia. 2012; 44:117-125.
- Rad HM, Eslami M, Ghanie A. Palmitoleate enhances quality of rooster semen during chilled storage. Animal reproduction science. 2016; 165:38-45.