RADIATING PATHOLOGY IN AGRICULTURAL ANIMALS WITH A DISEASED THYROID GLAND
- Authors: Pavlova S.A.1
- Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA)
- Issue: Vol 13, No 4 (2018)
- Pages: 303-316
- Section: Veterinary sanitary inspection
- URL: https://agrojournal.rudn.ru/agronomy/article/view/19428
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-797X-2018-13-4-303-316
Radioactive iodine is present in atmospheric fallout during the first hours of accidental emissions at nuclear power plants. It causes damage to the thyroid gland of varying severity. As a result of lesions with radioactive iodine, pathological changes develop in the thyroid gland, which can affect the productive indicators and reproduction of farm animals. Physiological changes are also diagnosed in animals that do not receive a sufficient amount of iodine compound with food or water. This can lead to pathology of the thyroid gland. Studies of the pathology of the thyroid gland should be carried out on the basis of structural modeling methods and data obtained experimentally. Analysis of the comparison of pathological effects allows to systematize information and use it in scientific and practical purposes. Depending on the intensity and duration of external and internal radiation exposure in farm animals acute or chronic radiation diseases can be diagnosed. Farm animals with or without signs of radiation disease of mild severity are left in farms and used for its intended purpose. Long-term effects of radiation can be manifested as temporary or permanent sterility, metabolic and endocrine status disorders, immunodeficiency, increased sensitivity to infectious diseases, the emergence of tumors. Monitoring of the radiological situation on the territory of the livestock complex is of particular importance, as its products are transported to different regions. Livestock products must meet regulatory requirements. Timely and full implementation of general and specific rules in the field of radiation safety is aimed at ensuring the safety of animals and preserving the quality of animal products.
About the authors
Svetlana Anatol’evna PavlovaRussian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA)
Author for correspondence.
Doctor of Biological Sciences, professor of the Department of environmental management and environmental protection of the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA)Moscow, 119571, Russian Federation
- An estimation of consequences of radiating defeat of sheep and conducting sheep breeding in the conditions of radioactive pollution of territory. Methodical recommendations for listeners ATF for SE direction. Kazan; 1984. (In Russ).
- Il'enko AI. Problemy i zadachi radioekologii zhivotnykh [Problems and tasks of animal radioecology]. Мoscow: Science Publ.; 1980. (In Russ).
- Prister BS. Problemy sel'skokhozyaistvennoi radiologii: sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Problems of agricultural radiology: collection of proceedings]. Vol. 4. Kiev: UNIISP Publ.; 1996. (In Russ).
- Ilyin LA. Radioaktivnyi iod v probleme radiatsionnoi bezopasnosti [Radioactive iodine in a problem of radiating safety]. Мoscow: Atomizdat Publ.; 1972. p. 272. (In Russ).
- Obaturov GM. Biofizicheskie modeli radiobiologicheskikh effektov [Biophysical models of radio biological effects]. Мoscow: Energoatomizdat Publ.; 1987. (In Russ).
- Kirshin VA, Bobryshev KP, Budarkov VA, Gusarova ML, Zhukov EG, Zelenov YN. Radiatsionnye effekty u zhivotnykh [Radiating effects in animals]. Мoscow: MSVMB Publ.; 1999. (In Russ).
- Iljazov RG, Aleksahin RM, Korneev NA, Sirotkin АN. Radioekologicheskie aspekty zhivotnovodstva (posledstviya i kontrmery posle katastrofy na Chernobyl'skoi AES) [Radio ecological aspects of animal industries (consequences and counter-measures after accident on the Chernobyl atomic power station). Gomel: Polesptchat Publ.; 1996. (In Russ).
- Romanov GN. Radioekologicheskie otsenki posledstvii avarii na Chernobyl'skoi AES dlya territorii 30-km zony i USSR [Radio ecological estimations of consequences of failure on the Chernobyl atomic power station for territory of 30-km of a zone and USSR]. Research report. 1987. (In Russ).
- Sirotkin AN, Iljazov RG. Radioekologiya sel'skokhozyaistvennykh zhivotnykh [Radioecology of agricultural animals]. Kazan: FEN Publ.; 2000. (In Russ).
- Loshchilov NА. Problemy sel'skokhozyaistvennoi radiologii. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Problems of agricultural radiology. The collection of proceedings]. Kiev: UINTEI and UNIISP Publ.; 1992. (In Russ).